Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Diversity

I have a friend who has a daughter about Tertius' age and she's trying to decide which path to take for her future education.  So she asks me a lot of questions about homeschooling.  One of her questions has been.whether my children are being exposed to diversity.  Do homeschooled children have opportunity to know, and learn to value, people that are different than themselves?

Homeschoolers are accused all the time of sheltering our children in a little bubble.  Since we have to put a little more effort into making opportunities for our kids to meet new friends, it's tempting to stick with the white, middle class, LDS homeschool families that we already know.  But it has been so easy, and so beneficial, to expand our circle. 

It didn't take much time at all to find a few local homeschool groups on Meetup.com.  We now meet with our new friends once a week at the park, once a month for geography class, and sometimes more often for special events.  

My friend's concerns are unnecessary.  I can happily report that my kids and I are forming great friendships with families of all different cultures, colors, religions, and political leanings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment