Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Drawing on the Ceiling


I've decided to be a lot more organized this school year.  That means instead of doing history lessons, for example, whenever I feel like it on the spur of the moment, we will do history at a set time every Monday and Wednesday. 

Well, this is our second week of school and my new schedule/routine is working wonderfully!  The one exception is that I still haven't gone to my sister-in-law's house to get back our Story of the World materials that I let her borrow over the summer.  So I've been scrambling during history time to think of something worthwhile to learn/do.

Today I grabbed from the shelf a new book I got about several famous artists.  So I read to them about Raphael and Michelangelo (they thought it was hilarious that the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles share names with famous dudes from history!) 

The section on Michelangelo obviously talked a bit about the Sistine Chapel.  While I was reading it, I suddenly remembered that when I was in elementary school, one of my teachers had us tape paper to the underside of our desks so we could experience a taste of what it was like for Michelangelo to do his back-breaking paintings.  So that became our activity today.  It was a great success!  Primus kept complaining about how much her arm hurt!  :) 

As a follow-up on Monday, I plan to share this virtual tour of the Sistine Chapel. 

(P.S. If you're curious, those gray splotches are covering up the letters of Secundus' real name.  I told her that artists always sign their work so she got creative and put one letter in each space of her picture.)

No comments:

Post a Comment