Friday, January 6, 2017

On the Hunt For Cool Books

Hubby is not only a history teacher, he's a history fanatic.  He's also an aspiring writer.  Every time that I'm looking at used books for the kids, I'm also on the lookout for history and writing stuff that he might like.  Whenever I strike it lucky and find something good, he's really impressed and grateful.  Once he told me that I had a real talent for finding things he likes.  A couple times we have gone to the same thrift store, together, and he saw nothing worthwhile but my eye was drawn to something awesome.

So now it's kind of an obsession and I'm eager to find the next great book.  The search is fun and I like making him happy!

Recently I was very excited to show him that I found Machiavelli's The Prince.  He was proud of me and thankful, but he was also amused to point out that I had already found him The Prince and forgotten about it.  Swing and a miss.


A couple months later I made up for it when I got Plato's Republic, The Iliad, The Odyssey, a book about Scottish Witchcraft, and a useful and well organized grammar reference book at a library book sale.

The next thing he has on his wishlist is The Malleus Maleficarum.

No comments:

Post a Comment