Monday, January 2, 2017

10 Year Old's First Make-up Kit

As I was checking out at Walmart, Primus looked at the gift sets by the register and found a cute make-up kit for little kids and asked if she could buy it with her own money.

I said 'absolutely not!' And then I walked her to the "beauty" department and helped her pick out 3 lipsticks and 3 blushes to buy instead.

I don't wear makeup. I haven't worn any (except for occasional concealer to make zits look less angry) ever since I realized that an entire multi-million dollar industry is based primarily on the notion that women are "less-than" if they don't cover up their natural skin. They make money when they can convince me that I am ugly when I look the way God made me.

I would never disparage anyone who liked to wear make-up on a regular basis for whatever reason. But I also don't want my girls to think that they have to paint their faces everyday in order to be worthy of love.

And yet, I helped Primus buy make-up...

That's because she and her siblings take a theater class every fall. In the theater world, make-up is a very important tool. It's necessary to add some color to your lips and cheeks so you don't look sick under the bright lights.

And so instead of letting her waste her money on some cheep junk that has hardly any pigment in it and is probably bad for her skin, I encouraged her to spend roughly the same amount of money on some inexpensive better quality stuff. And now she can be the official family make-up artist and experiment with different shades to see which one makes each of her siblings look the best for performance time.

2 comments: