Monday, May 15, 2017

I can't be the only one who doesn't like living in filth, right? Right?!

One thing I love about homeschooling is the ability to arrange our vacation days the way we want. Since we are enrolled in a charter school, they give us a calendar that we're officially supposed to follow, but we often do school on days that we're "supposed" to have off and thereby "bank" that holiday for future use when we need it. I figure that as long as the number of school days equals correctly at the end of the school year, when we work is less important.

And so, because we did school during Spring Break, today and tommorow were going to be our last 2 days of school and we would start our summer break early. We all looked forward to spending today gathering together all our work for the year, proudly flipping through and admiring what we had accomplished, packing it away in the garage, cleaning out our individual school work baskets, and then going on a "P.E. field trip" to an indoor trampoline place. Tomorrow's plan was to finish reading some books for our history curriculum, attend our normal park group, then swim lessons and karate class for more P.E.

However, those plans changed when I woke up to find that the house (especially the kitchen) was a complete disgusting disaster!

Friday night and Saturday we had a nephew over so everyone ate junk food and played video games the whole time. That mess never got cleaned up. Then yesterday being Mothers Day, I refuse to do chores on that day. And while Hubby is awesome and facilitated a wonderful day for me, cleaning the kitchen was not in his plans.

When I woke up this morning to see the state of the house and the fact that the children had been up for an hour or so before me, I lost it!

I can't possibly be the only person in the house who is bothered by the feel of crumbs and sticky spills under my feet? Or the only one who likes to have a few inches of cleared space on the kitchen table to set my milk glass?! Or the only one who knows how to put dirty dishes on the counter or wash them?! Or the only one who notices that literally half the table is covered in just straight-up garbage?! I can't possibly be the only person who has a problem with living in filth?!

Well, apparently I am and it amazes and terrifies me.

So that is why on this bright Monday morning that we had looked forward to, my children are instead doing chores while I catch up on some Netflix shows. Today is day 2 of Mothers Day.  Our last day of school will have to be Wednesday instead of tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment