Tuesday, November 14, 2017

6th Grade Memories

I like being busy. I like being social. I like being involved in everything. (Sometimes this catches up with me and I get stressed out because I put too much on my plate, but I digress.) This really started being clear to me in 6th grade.

6th grade at Pershing Elementary School was really a defining time for me in a lot of ways. I learned a lot about myself that year.

I could be remembering wrong, but I think the following was my schedule. This was also the year that I was finally allowed to walk home half a mile with friends (Beth, David, and Leslie) on most days. So many fond memories!

Mondays I went to private piano lessons with Sister Cooper.

Tuesdays after school I attended Readers' Theater group.
(This was a fun class and great for someone like me who has no natural acting talent. Performance time was a disaster, though. I mentioned it a little here.)

Wednesdays after school I stayed for GATE.
 (From talking to other people, it seems like our GATE program was much different than the way other schools do it and it was actually kind of lame. At my elementary school we had the regular classes and then the Rapid Learner classes. Even though I qualified for RL, my parents preferred the regular classes. My last year there they started GATE for the "smart" or gifted kids who weren't in RL. Basically we just met after school for an hour a week and did educational and fun stuff. We did a unit on the science of bubbles, a unit all about paper airplanes, and a whole semester with the computer lab teacher. We were planning improvements for the school website. We were working on some really awesome stuff! But either we didn't finish or we weren't allowed to actually make it live. Lame. Probably my favorite day was when we spent the whole time telling the computer teacher all about how snobby and mean the RL kids were. She had a daughter in RL but patiently listened to our frustrations and jealousies without rebuking us.)

I think the Girls Activity Days (church youth group) were also on Wednesdays every other week in the late afternoon.

Thursdays were spent at choir practice.

Band practice was before school on one of those days.


I'm thankful to my awesome elementary school that provided so many extracurricular activities (for free!) and to my mother for letting me join all of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment