Friday, November 10, 2017

“Can a woman forget her sucking child?”

Isaiah 49:15-16
15 Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee.16 Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.
This scripture is close to my heart. I have breastfed for a total of about 5 years (nonconsecutive) over the course of nurturing 4 babies.

There is a bond between mother and child. Spiritual, emotional, and physical. Even after the umbilical cord is cut, I was still linked physically with my infant. If I heard her cry, my body would respond by preparing to release milk for her.  If I was away from her for too long, my body made sure that I knew it!

Can a woman forget her sucking child? No! As a nursing mother, I could tell when it had been too long since the last feeding. If I was away from my baby and unable to pump to release some pressure, I would become engorged. It hurts! There is actual physical pain that happens to make sure the mother can't forget her child.


Like a breastfeeding mother to her infant, Christ our Savior is literally physically linked with us. He doesn't think of us and have compassion for us simply because of an emotional or spiritual connection with us. It is also a physical bond! He literally took upon him all of our sins and afflictions. He knows exactly what each of our pains, disappointments, sadness, and joys feel like to each of us.

Furthermore, when Christ was put on the cross, we were "graven upon the palms of his hands." That is a physical reminder of us to him. He has tangible evidence of the sacrifice he made for us and our connection to him.

I love my Savior and am eternally grateful to him for his sacrifice for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment