Saturday, April 11, 2015

Library Discoveries #2 Subject in a Box

Did you know the public library has more to offer than just books?  This is installment #2 in a series about the many things that can be checked out from my local public library.  The library has so many things to offer, but I'm going to focus on things that are kid-centric.


Subject in a Box

Find it on the website, have it "reserved" and sent to your local branch, and then pick it up and check it out just like a book.

I feel like this may been have designed specifically with homeschoolers in mind.  It sure saved me a bunch of time looking up and reserving individual titles and then waiting for them to become available one at a time!

Another bonus is that this counts as only one check out.  This is important to me because we often find ourselves at our 30-checkouts-per-card limit.  (Between the kids and I we've got 4 library cards.  I'm very tempted to get 2 year old Quartus his own card already.)


What you get:
Books
DVDs
CDRom
List of informative and kid-friendly websites

Science this year for us has been very relaxed.  I bought no set curriculum.  When I brought this kit home, it became our curriculum for a while.  We watched the DVDs and explored the CDrom together.  Then the girls each picked a specific insect (Primus picked ladybugs and Secundus picked monarch butterflies) and had to use these resources to study and answer a bunch of questions I gave them about that insect.  Finally all the research they did was compiled in book form.

This research project took them several days to complete and they were really proud of themselves when it was all done.


Stayed tuned for the next installment!

No comments:

Post a Comment