Sunday, December 2, 2012

History Crafts- Middle Kingdom of Egypt

I love learning history with my kids!  Like I've said before, I never thought I liked history.  But it all depends on how you learn it! 

I love learning it with Susan Wise Bauer's "Story of the World."  It moves pretty fast and doesn't get terribly in depth (though it does include a resource list so you can learn more on your own.)  So it is perfect for my girls (and me) to learn a good overview of ancient cultures and establish a good base for future studies.  I am impressed everyday with how much Primus is able to remember from our readings.  It makes her father proud to know that she seems to have a brain for this kind of thing.

Here are the crafts we did to supplement our readings of the Middle and New Kingdoms of Egypt.  I love the ideas that are included in the Story of the World.  I usually end up tweaking them a little to work for us, though.

We made gold arm bands like the Egyptian upper class might have worn, using gold from Nubia.  Such an easy, quick, cute craft!  Just a strip of toilet paper tube, cut open so it will fit around your arm.  Then we glued on gold glitter.



Next, we made chariots for our My Little Ponies like the Hyksos. The girls played with these all afternoon. Of course their little Polly Pockets and princess dolls rode in the chariots!  We used part of a Stove Top stuffing box, cardboard wheals, and popsicle sticks.


Finally, we made fake beards so we could pretend to be Hatshepsut, the female pharaoh.  It's half a paper towel tube with tissue paper glued on for decoration.  Then attach to your head with elastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment