Monday, September 26, 2011

Insecure?

I am VERY confident in our decision to homeschool. That said, I'm still at heart an insecure person. Primus has started attending a gymnastics class and I am very pleased that it is a large class of 8 kids her age. I think it will be really good for her.

And the first week, I was also excited about getting to know the other moms. But today I realized that all but 1 of the moms are older than me and all their kids go to the same kindergarten.

So in my head I'm imagining all the things they probably think of me. I've always been a little self conscious about being such a young mother. I have always kind of felt like I needed to make sure everyone knows that I was not an unwed teen mom.

On top of that, I'm imagining what they'll say when they find out that I homeschool. I am very aware of the fact that homeschoolers are seen as "weird" at best.

So I'm playing the potential conversations in my head, trying to come up with great, confident, responses to the things I'm "sure" they'll say.

But here's the most likely reality: they don't notice that I'm young. They won't care that I homeschool. They won't ever engage me in conversation.

Man, sometimes I am such a nut-case. Why am I so worried? I need to hook up with a group of homeschooling moms that I can commiserate with.

No comments:

Post a Comment