Sunday, October 9, 2011

Sausage and Apples

Most of the Golden Delicious apples that we picked at Apple Hill had some kind of scab/fungus on them. They didn't look very pretty.  So I decided to peel and cook them.  I made an apple pie and an apple cake yesterday. 
Then tonight for dinner we had one of our favorite dishes.  It's super easy so I decided to share it!  In fact, it's so easy and no-fuss that I don't even measure anymore.  I just use as much sausage, apple, and brown sugar as we have and looks good.  But here is the original recipe for you:



Sausage and Apples

*Put your oven rack 6-7 inches below the heating element. 
*Place 1/2 pound of sausage links on a broiler pan.  (Sometimes I just put the links on the pan, sometimes I cut them up like in the picture.  The original recipe calls for "fresh country sausage links."  We also commonly use Polish kielbasa.) 
*Broil 2-3 minutes or until sausage is lightly browned.
*Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake additional 10 minutes.
*Arrange thinly cut apple slices (4 medium-size cooking apples) around sausage on broiler rack.  (I usually don't peel the apples.)
*Sprinkle with 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar.
*Bake 15 minutes or until apples are tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment