Saturday, November 30, 2013

Homemade Rapunzel Costume

 Something that Primus has been asking Santa for for a couple years is a Rapunzel dress-up dress.  So this Christmas I finally decided to make that happen.  But to my chagrin, they just don't make dress-up clothes in her size!  I could find them (REALLY hard to find and expensive) in size 7-8.  But I want her to be able to enjoy it for a while and she is so tall so she is starting to move into size 10 already!  I found some really great nightgowns in her size that would work but those things are 50 bucks!

So I had to figure out how to make my own.  Here's a picture for reference.

You can see a good tutorial on how to make this super easy tutu here.  I think I bought 5 or 6 yards of tulle.  Instead of a regular elastic waist, a friend suggested I use a crochet elastic headband.  I really like how it looks!  You can buy it by the yard at Jo-Ann's.


For the top, I just sewed ribbon onto a shirt.  It would have been a lot better if I had used a regular T-shirt, but I just used what she already had.



No comments:

Post a Comment