Saturday, February 15, 2014

I'm a Mormon, and That Isn't Bad

I found out a few months ago that an acquaintance that I knew from our last ward (congregation) "left" the Church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) and had the records of her and her family removed.  She is officially an ex-Mormon.

She started a blog where she shares her thoughts on Mormonism and why she left.  I skimmed several of her posts and now my mind is swimming with a multitude of thoughts.

Her blog is her personal space where she has the freedom to say whatever she wants regarding religion or any other topic.  And this blog is my space.  So today I want to share a couple of my thoughts on Mormonism in response.  She'll probably never see this and I don't really care if she does.  Whatever I say probably wouldn't change her mind, just as what she posted hasn't changed mine.  So that isn't my aim.

But perhaps someday someone will google my religion and stumble upon what I have to say about it, and maybe something I post will speak to them and give them something they were searching for.

I could share my testimony of the Church, the Book of Mormon, or prophets.  And perhaps I will another day.  But right now, I'll keep it simple and limited to the thing that stood out to me the most as I read this woman's criticisms.

By their fruits ye shall know them.  IF the Church is one big fraud, then is it doing me any harm by being a member?  NO.  

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is such an incredible humanitarian organization that has done so much good in the world.  And on a personal level, I know that I am a better person, a more productive member of society, and have more peace in my life when I adhere to its teachings.

Also, I could never ever let go of my conviction that Heavenly Father is a fair and loving God.  And IF Mormonism is wrong, I know that He still loves me anyway.  And in the afterlife He will not fault me for trying to find Him and follow Him in the best way I knew how.

No comments:

Post a Comment