Friday, February 28, 2014

Friends Around the World

I'm really excited about this new series that the Friend magazine is doing this year.  Each month there is a 2 page story of a real child from a particular country, a paper doll, plus a two page "bulletin board" with activity ideas.  Yay for free geography curriculum!  I'm getting started late on this so I don't know yet if I'm going to start doing it with the kids now or wait until next school year.

I've decided to put it all together in a big book so we have everything in one place.  You can either photocopy all the resources for Friends Around the World from the monthly magazine or print them out online here.

For the cover, I photocopied this image smaller from the January issue (I couldn't find the image online.)  The envelope at the bottom holds our passports.  Every month includes a little animal "stamp" to glue into your passport.

I have 4 sheets of construction paper for each month.


So here's what January looks like.  The first page of red (not pictured) will probably get a map and/or flag of Mexico added to it.  The 2nd and 3rd page has the story of Mahonri and Helaman from the coast of Mexico.


Page 4 and 5 have the bulletin board with a craft suggestion, shrimp taco recipe, facts about Mexico, and a family history activity (it looks like some months will also have a writing assignment-just a question to answer.)


Page 6 and 7 are blank right now.  The envelope in the top corner will hold our completed paper dolls (be sure to print them on card-stock.)  I'll paste our family history activity in the rest of the space ("Mahonri and Helaman were named after people in the Book of Mormon. Do you know where your name comes from? Ask a parent to tell you stories behind any special names in your family.")


I think it will be fun to study geography and other cultures with the background of the Church.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is a global church so I think it will be exciting for the kids to "meet" other kids their age in far off lands that share their same religious beliefs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment