Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Spouse and Family Support Guide, Ch 3 He Will Take upon Him the Pains and the Sicknesses of His People

My intro from Chapter 1: "Last semester Hubby had a class on Tuesday nights which made it difficult for me to attend the Family Support Group that I used to facilitate.  But now I have started going back and am loving it!

"I used to go primarily to help other people.  But now I have to choose to go for myself.  It's a wonderful mid-week gospel study and testimony meeting.  You don't have to have an addiction or know someone who has an addiction to benefit from this group!

"I'm trying to be better (again) about my personal nightly scripture study.  I've decided that every night I am going to study the Spouse and Family Support Guide.  This is the manual we discuss in the meetings.  I'm journaling my answers to the discussion questions, and thoughts I have as I study the Personal Learning and Application section.  And since I do better at sticking to things when I have outside accountability and feel obligated, I'm going to blog my journals here.

"These will not be my unedited journal entries.  The really personal stuff will be saved for my own reflection and for sharing in the confidential meetings.  I also won't be including the many, many quotes that touched my heart and that I highlighted in the additional readings linked at the end of each chapter.  You're going to have to go read and find those gems yourself!"

Please follow the link, read along, and share your own thoughts in the comments if you feel so inspired.

Chapter 3  He Will Take upon Him the Pains and the Sicknesses of His People

Christ took upon him not just my sins, but my PAINS and SICKNESSES. Which I believe includes pains and sicknesses of the heart.

There is a difference between believing in Heavenly Father and Jesus, and believing in Their promises. If I believe that Heavenly Father and Jesus are real beings, that doesn't necessarily mean that I believe they actually care about me. 
 I believe that they exist and that they know me AND love me. I believe that they love my loved ones AND me. I believe they bless those that seek them INCLUDING me. I believe that they keep their promises to others AND me. I need to not lose faith in that when Their timetable is not the same as mine.

The healing power of Christ's Atonement “is available for every affliction in mortality.” 

We have had limited income for over 5 years now. These 5 years have been very hard. It has been a huge struggle for me to be patient, faithful, and optimistic during this time. But I have had large portions of time (and getting larger and more frequent) of feeling at peace and content. This is only possible through my Savior.

The thing that prevents me from coming unto Christ and exercising faith in Him so that He can heal me is my pride. The thought that I can do it on my own. That I should be able to fix things by my own power. But really I have no control over so much that happens in this life. I have to let go of that pride, put my life at His feet, exercise faith in Him, and patiently wait on His plan for me. This is Steps 1-3 of ARP! I can't, He can, I think I'll let Him.

I think “lay your burdens at the feet of the Savior” means to go to Him in prayer and admit, “I'm powerless. My way isn't working. I give this burden to thee. I commit to being patient and following thy counsel on the matter, even though I don't understand why.”

I don't understand all the details of what will happen in the Spirit World prior to the Resurrection. But it is so nice to hear an apostle of the Lord state with confidence that there is still time for improvement even after death. 

A nursing mother CANNOT forget her sucking child. Just like the Savior CANNOT forget and forsake us for He has a very permanent, physical connection to us.

Christ came into the world to “save all men if they will hearken unto his voice.” He came to save us from death. He came to save us from hell. He came to save us from the pain, despair, loneliness, grief, anxiety that we experience in mortality.

“Behold, mine arm of mercy is extended towards you...” He's just waiting there, holding out His hand to rescue us. We just need to put away our pride, exercise faith, and reach up!

Key for repentance: Confess sins and Forsake them.

Jesus suffered so we wouldn't have to. He doesn't want us to suffer!

Satan wants us to be confused. He wants us to be depressed. He wants us to doubt.

Grace: “Divine means of help or strength, given through the bounteous mercy and love of Jesus Christ.”

Without Him (our Savior Jesus Christ), we are truly nothing. Without Him, we would not be resurrected, would not be able to repent of our transgressions, would not have the strength to endure or accomplish what we need to in this life. Without Him, our lives would be lost.

Grace = enabling power

We put our selves in darkness by our choices.

He loves all of His creations. He especially loves us, His crowning creation, made on the 6th day after all else was prepared.

 In my "seasons of distress and grief", my soul has, can, and will find relief when I lay my burdens at His feet in sincere prayer. I also love that the hymn calls is “seasons” of distress. Seasons come and go. They are constantly changing. We know that they will pass away, and we know that they will come again in their due time. Just like our trials and tribulations. “This too shall pass.” New or similar trials will come again later, but we know that they are with us for only a short time in the eternal perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment