Thursday, August 13, 2015

Spouse and Family Support Guide, Ch 4 Draw Near Unto Me

My intro from Chapter 1: "Last semester Hubby had a class on Tuesday nights which made it difficult for me to attend the Family Support Group that I used to facilitate.  But now I have started going back and am loving it!

"I used to go primarily to help other people.  But now I have to choose to go for myself.  It's a wonderful mid-week gospel study and testimony meeting.  You don't have to have an addiction or know someone who has an addiction to benefit from this group!

"I'm trying to be better (again) about my personal nightly scripture study.  I've decided that every night I am going to study the Spouse and Family Support Guide.  This is the manual we discuss in the meetings.  I'm journaling my answers to the discussion questions, and thoughts I have as I study the Personal Learning and Application section.  And since I do better at sticking to things when I have outside accountability and feel obligated, I'm going to blog my journals here.

"These will not be my unedited journal entries.  The really personal stuff will be saved for my own reflection and for sharing in the confidential meetings.  I also won't be including the many, many quotes that touched my heart and that I highlighted in the additional readings linked at the end of each chapter.  You're going to have to go read and find those gems yourself!"

Please follow the link, read along, and share your own thoughts in the comments if you feel so inspired.


I need to take care of my spirit just like I need to take care of my body. My body needs sleep, healthy food, exercise. My spirit needs faith, feasting on the scriptures, prayer, etc.

It is easier for me to receive revelation, and easier to recognize it when I receive it, when I am doing all I can to be closer to the Lord. When I am praying sincerely every morning and night, and when I am studying and pondering the scriptures and other gospel resources every day. Journal writing helps, too.

Taking the sacrament is my opportunity to reflect on myself and my own conduct. The sacrament and renewing my covenants has nothing to do with anyone else. It's just between me and my Savior. So when I take the sacrament, I should be focusing not on what blessings my loved ones need (that can be done in prayer at a different time), but rather on what transgressions I have done and what I need to do to better align myself with His will.

He knows my heart.

When I am in the temple, I feel profound peace. I feel that everything is ok, there is nothing to worry about, God is in control. I need to go often so that I can continually be bolstered by that testimony so I can get through the struggles and trials in between.

I'm still learning to recognize the promptings of the Holy Ghost vs. my own ideas and emotions. It is easier to feel confident about it when I am doing what I need to to feel close to my Heavenly Father. And I put a lot of faith in the scripture that talks about a burning in the bosom vs. a stupor of thought.

“Did I not speak peace to your mind concerning the matter? What greater witness can you have than from God?”

The Holy Ghost speaks to our minds and to our hearts.

The Spirit enlightens our minds and fills our souls with joy.

Heavenly Father, through the Spirit, teaches and guides us with peace and joy, not FEAR.

“If ye will NOT HARDEN your hearts, and ask me in FAITH, BELIEVING that ye shall receive, with diligence in KEEPING THE COMMANDMENTS, surely these things shall be made known unto you.”

Scripture study, prayer, and fasting are needed to receive revelation.

My testimony is strong even though I haven't received “frequent, miraculous, or strong impressions.” It has grown line upon line over my whole life.

I have to CHOOSE to be faithful, humble, and obedient to God's laws as I understand them. THAT is how I will receive revelation and a testimony of the truth.

What am I sacrificing to serve and bless others?

Holy Ghost = feeling of light and joy; calm, quiet, peaceful. Confusion, doubt, anxiety, fear all come from darkness.

When we perceive the light through the fog, we can only take a few steps at a time. We can't see the end of the path.

In addition to all the obvious and oft-repeated things we should do to increase our spirituality and be more receptive to the Spirit, we also need to take care of our physical bodies! Taking care of the temple of my spirit “increase our capacity to receive and understand revelation.”

I need to be better about recording direction, inspiration, and revelation I receive.

“Sanctify yourselves” = keep the commandments

I'm thankful for good friends that took me up on my crazy idea of exchanging babysitting each month so we each have a guaranteed date night/temple night. And I'm especially thankful that they are so good about remembering it! If it were up to me, I'm sure we would frequently miss our temple night due to my own failure to write it down and plan for it each month!

Thank the Lord for the “trust He places in us when He gives us the opportunity to overcome difficulties.” Ask what am I supposed to learn from this experience?

I need to stop complaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment