Friday, September 28, 2018

ARP Bulletin Board

I've been facilitating the Spouse and Family Support Group (for those that have loved ones in addiction) for about 6 years. Our meeting (and the ARP general addiction meeting the next night)  has been in the same room of the same building for that whole time.

This room has two sides, each side having a chalkboard flanked by two skinny bulletin boards. One chalkboard is used by adult seminary each morning, while the board on our side isn't used by anyone. I finally decided to claim it for the Addiction Recovery Program.


I wanted to keep the project inexpensive and colorful. Thankfully I had colored cardstock, white butcher paper, and black construction paper on hand already. For the border I cut strips from a striped wrapping paper I owned. It's not very durable and a professional border paper would look better, but this works for now.

To the right of the chalkboard I've put each of the 12 Steps. The general addiction meeting has large posters with the steps on them that they hang up on their night, but I wanted a copy up for people to see all week and so we could reference them on our night. (The Family Support Group doesn't follow the 12 Steps, but the steps were so life changing for many in our group and they apply to all of life's difficulties so it's nice to have a reminder.)


On the left side I have 3 pictures of concepts that we often reference (Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane, one of Christ reaching down to lift up a struggling child by Greg Olsen, and a new one that had an impact on me called The Hand of God.) I purchased 5x7 inch photos from Dessert Book to keep price down instead of getting larger versions.

This bulletin board also has the Serenity Prayer, a schedule of all the Addiction Recovery Meetings our Stake hosts, and an appropriate scripture (Ether 12:27.)

I'm really pleased with how it all came together. With this room being used by adult seminary every weekday morning, Priesthood classes on Sunday, and baptisms on many weekends, lots of people will see this display. My prayer is that those people who need support will be touched by what they see and be inspired to join us.

No comments:

Post a Comment