Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Presidents' Day

To accompany our Presidents' Day studies, I had a good discussion with Primus about Kings vs. Presidents and why our Founding Fathers decided presidents were better. 
I then pulled out these Presidents flash cards that my mother-in-law got for us.  They have a picture of the man on the front along with the number of which president they were.  On the back is their name, a copy of their signature, and a bunch of information.  I shuffled them up and had her put them back in the right order. 
She was able to recognize Washington, Lincoln, and Obama from their pictures. 
We also talked about how Presidents are elected every 4 years and that sometimes we vote to keep the same president 2 terms in a row. 
That led to a discussion of FDR being elected 4 times in a row and why we decided to change the law to disallow that. 
And she was fascinated by the fact that Grover Cleveland was the 22nd and 24th President but not the 23rd. 
I also mentioned how Ford was never elected at all because he was a Vice President who stepped up and finished the former President's, Nixon's, term but then wasn't reelected.


I am thankful for our country and the opportunity we have to vote for our leaders.  I have worked at a polling place every election since the first one that I could vote in.  My kids have definitely grown up in an atmosphere of political awareness and learned how important it is to vote.  I'm excited to work again this June for the Primary Election.  It is always a long day, but it is so worth it to be a part of the political process and to set a good example for my children!

No comments:

Post a Comment