Tuesday, August 8, 2017

A Teachable Moment from Talk Radio

I listen to talk radio all the time.  If I'm in the kitchen or driving in the car, I've usually got the radio on.  Recently a news report came on that I made sure my daughters heard.

According to this article: "Harvard University has reportedly rescinded at least 10 admission offers into its fall freshman class after learning prospective students traded sexually explicit and offensive messages in an online Facebook chat."

Hearing what happened as a consequence of these students' actions was a great opportunity for discussion with my girls.  

Always assume everything you post online is permanent and public.  Keep a close eye on your privacy settings and who you have on your "friends" list.  But even if it's in a "private" chat, don't post it if you would be uncomfortable with your Bishop, grandparent, professor, or future boss seeing it.  

I would hate it if my children were punished in the future for a dumb mistake they made on social media in their youth.  But that's the world we live in now.

No comments:

Post a Comment