Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Healthy Popsicles for Spoiling Cousins With

I always try to keep my freezer stocked with popsicles, but not just any popsicles...healthy ones.  All my nieces and nephews, real and honorary, know that they should be able to find some anytime they come over. And since I make them with mostly fruit, I don't feel bad for a second for spoiling them with them.

Basically our popsicles are just leftover smoothies or milkshakes. I'll often make a big batch for everyone to drink and then whatever little amount is left goes in the freezer. 

My smoothies are just fruit juice (usually apple or sometimes V8 Fusion), frozen bananas, and whatever other frozen fruit I have. Sometimes I have chia seeds to add and lately I've been including fresh spinach when I have it.

The "milkshakes" my kids love at breakfast time are milk, chunky peanut butter, frozen bananas, and chocolate Carnation Breakfast Essentials.


I have several different popsicle molds I've picked up along the way. But the ones below are hands- down my favorite! They're Tupperware brand. I love that the lids seal onto the mold so I don't have to make sure they get frozen upright. I just throw them in the freezer and don't worry about them spilling at all.

 The kids like that the stick part has a little handle. And they also like to scrape their popsicles against the edge of the mold and then lick up the pieces that flake off. I like that when the little stick part gets lost (we're currently missing 3), then I can just fit a regular popsicle stick in it's place and still use the mold.

What's your favorite healthy "treat" to have on hand?

No comments:

Post a Comment