Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Call the Midwife

Perhaps my favorite episode of Call the Midwife is season 4, "episode 8."

(SPOILER ALERT)

This is the episode where a pregnant woman with hyperemesis gravidarum is treated with Thalidomide.  Given that I had HG with 3 of my 4, it really hit home.  And at the end of the episode when the "miracle" drug is revealed, my heart sank and I felt awful dread because I knew what would be coming in future episodes.

This is also the episode where Trixie hits rock bottom and begins attending AA.  Addiction recovery is close to my heart so I found her scenes moving and beautifully deep.  She is such a fascinating character and I love to see her development.

Finally, this is also the episode where Sister Monica Joan introduced me to the word "transmogrify."  I need to find a way to work this into my regular vocabulary.  :)

I just love this show and can't wait for season 6 to come to Netflix!

No comments:

Post a Comment