Wednesday, December 14, 2016

"Slop" (a sort-of recipe)

It was one of those days when funds for food were low and we had a couple more days before the food budget would be replenished.  Plus, the cupboards were bare and the freezers were empty.  

What the heck am I going to make for dinner??!!

I started pulling cans off the sparse shelves and threw together a meal I'll forever after call, "Slop."  Thankfully, it turned out pretty yummy.  Necessity is the mother of invention, right?  


I combined in a big pot and brought to a boil:
*1 can tomato sauce
*1 can diced tomatoes 
*2 cans black beans (rinsed and drained)
*several dashes of garlic powder and Italian seasoning
*a partial bag of frozen peas
Then I reduced the heat, covered, and simmered until the peas were cooked.


Then I served the soupy mixture over rice.


This kid cracks me up.  He inhales food, especially casseroles.  He finished his bowl of "Slop" before Secundus had even finished talking about how much it smelled like spaghetti sauce!


He almost never complains about whatever dinner I put in front of him.  I think it's because he swallows it so fast, he doesn't actually taste it.  Either way, it sure felt good to have him beg if he could have it again the next day for lunch and dinner.


What's your favorite thrown-together-with-whatever-you-had-on-hand meal you've ever made?

No comments:

Post a Comment