Friday, October 5, 2018

Revolutionary War Drummer Boy Costume

For Halloween this year we're doing an American theme.  Take a look at Quartus' Drummer Boy costume!  We were going to borrow Grandpa's Civil War soldier hat, but after browsing inspiration pictures, Quartus insisted he would rather be a drummer boy from the American Revolutionary War (because of the tricorn hat and white shirt.)

Speaking of inspiration, I am NOT an expert on colonial dress.  But here's the link to the Pinterest board I made to help me.


He's wearing a white dress shirt that's a couple sizes too big because that gives him puffy sleeves.  The vest is a dark blue T-shirt.  I just cut the collar and sleeves off and then cut it up the front.


We already had a toy drum so I just had to add a strap made out of denim from old jeans.


 We had a felt pirate hat that's been squished at the bottom of a dress-up box for years.  I also think it might have originally been a bicorn hat.  I pinched and hotglued it to make it keep the tricorn shape that I wanted.


Do you see that glossy part on the front of the hat?  It had a skull-and-crossbones picture that I had to cover with black fabric paint.


The breeches are a pair of his brown church pants that I simply cut and hemmed below the knee.  I also added some elastic to the hem.  His brother's tall white socks completes the look!


Stay tuned for The Statue of Liberty, Uncle Sam, and Rosie the Riveter!

No comments:

Post a Comment