Friday, October 12, 2018

Uncle Sam Costume

Finally I present Tertius as Uncle Sam!  His was the trickiest because the traditional Uncle Sam costume always includes a blue suit coat with tails.  Tertius doesn't currently own a suit coat of any kind!  And I don't know if you've noticed, but when I make these costumes for my kids each year, it's extremely important to me to use what we have on hand as much as possible.  In total, I spent less than $10 this year for costumes (that got me Secundus' shirt, Quartus' vest, some white felt, and elastic.) I was not willing to buy or sew (ha!) a coat for him so I had to get creative.



He's wearing a blue and white striped long-sleeved dress shirt and a navy blue sweater vest.  I absolutely covered the vest in white felt stars.  (Another thing you should have noticed by now is that my preferred costume-making materials are felt and hot glue!  I can sew, but when it comes to costumes, the sewing machine stays in the closet.)  
The beard is a triangle of fake fur with an elastic strap to go over his ears and around his head.  He probably won't wear it on Halloween because he keeps complaining that it's too itchy.


For the bowtie, I stacked two rectangles of red felt, pinched them in the middle, and then wrapped the middle with another strip of felt.  Elastic is fed under the strip and velcro is glued onto the ends.


Tertius owned these red pajama shorts so I added long white stripes.


The final piece of course is his top hat.  I was going to make one out of an oatmeal container (the instructions can be found on my Pinterest board.)  But that would have been way too small.  Instead, we went way-too-big with a gallon ice cream bucket!  It's all covered in construction paper with a cardboard brim. The inside hole of the cardboard brim is smaller than the opening of the bucket so that it sits on his head in a comfortable spot.


What are your plans for Halloween?  Does your family do a united theme?

No comments:

Post a Comment