Monday, October 29, 2018

Trying On Mommy's Wedding Dress

While doing some closet reorganizing with my girls, I pulled my wedding dress off the top shelf in my room.  I hadn't even looked inside the box since it came home from the cleaner's.  


What girl doesn't love ooh-ing and aah-ing over her Mommy's wedding dress?  It was a fun moment to have with my girls.  Looking at wedding photos just isn't as interesting as seeing the dress up close and feeling the beads with your own hands. 


I let both of them try it on and we almost made Hubby cry.  Primus declared that she wanted to wear my dress when she got married one day.  We had to break it to her that, while it's a lovely idea and many mothers wish that would happen, she probably won't feel the same way in 10+ years and the dress is suddenly 20+ years old and out of style.  


When I was preparing for my wedding, I tried on my mom's dress (long sleeves with big puffs at the shoulders) and loved it and wanted to get some photos taken in it, but that just never happened. 


I told the girls that my hope is to pay a talented seamstress to cut it up and make outfits for my future grandchildren to be blessed in.  They really liked that idea! (I'm not holding out any hope, though, that this idea will appeal to my future daughters-in-law.)

No comments:

Post a Comment