Thursday, December 15, 2011

One Lesson, Two Different Levels

One thing that I have anxiety about is, "Four years from now, how in the world am I going to teach a kindergartner, 2nd grader, and 4th grader all at the same time?  And what if more babies come along by then, too?"  I mean, I know that big homeschooling families do the one-room-schoolhouse thing all the time.  But at this point, it's hard for me to fathom how I could possibly have enough hands, eyes, and time to make it all work.
As I've read blogs written by experienced mommies, I'm learning that one key is to combine lessons as much as possible.  So in order to help my fellow newbies, I'd like to share just one example that I discovered of how to apply this advice:

To help my kindergartner practice her sight words, I downloaded some free, simple board games from http://www.theschoolbell.com/Links/Dolch/Contents.html.  As we play, Primus has to read various sight word cards to move on or win a card.  When Secundus plays with us, instead of having her read the words, I have her tell me the beginning letter name and sound.  So simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment