Tuesday, December 20, 2011

When Does Our Holiday Start? Oops!

Since we are enrolled with a charter school to do our homeschooling, they give us a calendar dictating when we should take holidays.  (And I have to report our attendance.)  But I figure that one perk to homeschooling is taking vacation whenever you want. 

For example, back in November we were supposed to take Veteran's Day off, which was a Friday.  But Tuesday of that same week, I was gone all morning at the Principle for a Day thing.  So I made that Tuesday our holiday and we did school on Friday to make up for it.

Well, it looks like I've done it again, accidentally.  I was so sure that our Christmas break began after Friday the 16th, same as Secundus' preschool.  But yesterday I finally looked at my planner and it turns out we are supposed to have school Monday thru Wednesday this week and then take 10 school days off.  Oops!

So minor inconvenience, now I just have to pay attention and make sure we get all the right number of school days in.  Primus is excited to be on break right now so I'm not going tell her that she has to wake up early today and come do her journal and math just because South Sutter says so and Mommy screwed up.  But at the same time, I don't want to get too far off the schedule.  (And sticking to their plan of not starting school again until January 5th as opposed to the 2nd sounds really nice!)

It's a good thing that Kindergarten is easy and fun.  Because I was able to squeeze in a school day yesterday without Primus even noticing.  I got her to read 4 phonics books to me, we read and discussed several Aesop's Fables together, she watched an Eyewitness DVD about Skeletons, we made "ants on a log" for snack, and we made reindeer donuts for a treat.  (Pics and blog post to follow.)

So since I snuck in a day yesterday, that means we can now take vacation until January 3rd!  Sweet!  Although, now I'm conflicted because there is a chance I might get to go out of state without the kids at the end of January to help my sister-in-law with her new baby.  Which means Primus will have to take some vacation days at that time.  (Hubby can't be expected to do too much in my absence because he'll have his own homework to complete.  Though I will at least leave her with some handwriting practice pages and other easy independent workpages.)  So maybe I have just banked one day toward that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment